Friday 11 July 2014

28/6/1959 Bath

This poem, written on a Sunday, talks of Mr Nash spending the day in Bath, but having Marianne on his mind. On a book-buying mission? With his family? He was certainly in a literary mood, referring to Jane (I presume, Austen), while also drawing comparison to his namesake Beau Nash, the dandy who helped put Bath at the forefront of the 18th century English social scene.

I walked down Milsom Street today
And though you were a hundred miles away
I saw you - and sweet Jane -
Although she will never walk Bath again;
And I, whose surname forced a glow
On fair maids' cheeks, when by the Beau
So dubious, they received a glance,
Would give a world to make this quick advance
So I walked on down Milsom Street
Having no one to stay or greet
For these my dreams have gone astray
And I despondently must surely stay.
28th June, 1959


No comments:

Post a Comment